Private Sector Employers
Manitou Forest Products – established 1970 – Lumber Millwork Forestry – 30 employees
Rainy River First Nations – 45 employees
Rainy River First Nations is the largest public sector employer in the? community. Manitou Forest Products is a public / private partnership that is a significant employer in the community, as well as the nearby area.
Other large employers in the area include:
- Ainsworth, which operates an oriented strand board (OSB) mill in the Township of Chapple, which borders the community to the west.
- New Gold, is in the process of building a mine property in the Township of Chapple. Several hundred people are employed in this operation, in addition, a number of other local businesses, are assisting in this effort, generating significant employment in the area of the community.
- Rainy River District School Board. Schools in bounding municipalities, most students from the community attend Donald Young school in Emo (elementary), and Fort Frances High School (secondary).
- Northwest Catholic District School Board. Nearby school located in Stratton which the community is zoned for.
- Seven Generations Education Institute, has a satellite operation located in the community.
For a complete listing of larger employers in the region, please view the community profiles for the Township of Emo, Township of Chapple, as well as the Municipalities and First Nation communities in the Rainy River District.
Contact Information¬†¬†Economic Strategies & Services¬†¬†Population & Labour Force¬†¬†Major Employers¬†¬†Utilities¬†¬†Transportation/Communication Infrastructure¬†¬†Quality of Life